Even when I was little the Royal Family was a source of interest and amusement. Perhaps it’s the fascination of something real but also fairy-tale like, in the same way dinosaurs are interesting to children as they’re like real monsters. Also they’re a a real family and we can see how they have similar problems as our own. Like all families though, they have their secrets. It’s fun to imagine what they are. I think it’s this that led me to speculate that most unknowable of all Royal secrets, the contents of the Queen’s knicker drawer. And so I wrote The Queen’s Knickers.
When I heard of the Duchess of Cambridge’s pregnancy, I thought about how the new baby would find itself in the midst of this family. Imagining it’s nappy collection seemed a good way of making these speculations.
During the Queen’s Jubilee, because of my book about her underwear, I seemed to spend much of my time helping children design and create paper knickers to celebrate the day. It could well be that I’ll be doing something similar with paper nappies on the birth of the future monarch. In fact, as paper knickers were sent by children to Buckingham Palace, paper nappies may well end up in the Kensington Palace post bag.
In my books I often take well known people or characters and imagine them as they must be in their everyday lives. Children can then see they are not so different from themselves. ‘Jesus’ Day Off’ is an example, and another is my new book ‘Father Christmas Comes Up Trumps!’, about Father Christmas’s problem when suffering a case of flatulence while on duty. I hope ‘The Royal Nappy’ will show that our future monarch is human just like them too…and just as prone to little accidents.
To celebrate the release of The Royal Nappy Tesco are giving you the chance to win an exclusive framed illustration drawn and signed by me for a Tesco Books Blog reader!
To win all you have to do is answer this question in the comments section below…
What do you think is a good name for a Royal Baby?
Terms and Conditions
1. By entering the competition, you agree to accept and be bound by these terms and conditions. All entry instructions form part of the terms & conditions of this competition.
2. This competition is open to anyone resident in the UK or the Republic of Ireland who hold a valid passport, except for employees of The Random House Group Limited (promoter), its subsidiary companies, their families and any other company connected with the competition.
3. The closing date for the competition is 11.59pm on 31 August 2013. Entries that are illegible or received after this date will not be considered. The promoter is not responsible for entries delayed or lost in the post.
4. The prize is for an exclusive framed Nicholas Allan illustration featuring characters from his new book, The Royal Nappy.
5. No cash alternative will be offered. Prize is not-transferable.
6. Events may occur which render the awarding of the prize impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the promoter and the promoter may, at its absolute discretion, vary, amend, suspend or withdraw the prize with or without notice.
7. The winner will be picked by employees of RHCP in conjunction with Nicholas Allan within 14 days of the closing date (i.e. 14 September 2013). The winner will be notified by email within 28 days of the closing date (i.e. 28 September 2013).
8. The winner agrees to the promoter’s use of their name, town of residence and photograph in relation to the promoter’s publicity material.
9. Your personal details will only be retained and used by the promoter in order to send you your prize and will be deleted thereafter unless you have ticked the appropriate box. Your personal details will not be passed on to any third parties.’
10. The winner’s name will be available upon the promoter’s receipt of a stamped addressed envelope.
11. The promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to the competition.
12. These terms and conditions are subject to English Law and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
13. The promoter’s contact details are: The Random House Group Limited, 20 Vauxhall Bridge Road, London SW1V 2SA